CAPTAIN LAPONDA J. FITCHPATRICK, ACE, SHRM-SCP (Retired)
Law Enforcement Officer Trainer & Consultant
Captain LaPonda Fitchpatrick was responsible for ensuring the safety, security, and regulatory compliance of the global gateway known as Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and its satellite airports for over 30 years, retiring as a commanding officer within the Los Angeles Airport Police Department (LAXPD). After the tragic events of September 11th, LaPonda had the foresight to conceive and implement the Los Angeles Airport Police Homeland Security Section to ensure that multi-agency law enforcement, public safety, security activities, and response times were properly coordinated to reduce LAX’s vulnerability to a terrorist event or catastrophic emergency. LaPonda supported these initiates by:
• Developing the nation’s largest airport law enforcement bomb detection K-9 unit
• Expediting multi-agency intelligence sharing
• Crafting a on-site tactical response unit tailored to the aviation environment
• Constructing and maintaining both of LAX’s Airport Emergency Response Plan (AERP) and Airport Security Plan (ASP)
As a consultant, LaPonda has developed training curriculum that has been provided to police officers, TSA and other aviation security personnel nationally and internationally. Also, LaPonda has expanded her practice to include Human Resource and Organizational Change Management strategy, Workplace Violence and Safety for business training and policy development, and Diversity and Inclusion training for a variety of public and private organizations.
Awards and Achievements
• Bachelors of Arts in Sociology from the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)
• Developed the nationwide Airport LEO Course in 2002
• Certificate of Appreciation for Contribution to Aviation Safety and Security in 2002 for her contributions to the training and deployment of military and other personnel to airports
• California National Guard Commendation – Post 911 Operation Safe Passage Training and Military Deployment to Airports and the Federal Aviation Administration
• National Black Police Association Outstanding African American Woman in Law Enforcement
• “Taking Charge of Change” Award, 2011
• Currently a Senior Certified Professional of the prestigious Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).